Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Oak Ass 100 Race Report - Tracy McKay

*Anyone that wants their Oak Ass story told but lacks a blog format email me and I will publish it here for you.  jkarrasch@hotmail.com

To say Tracy McKay is an experienced ultra racer would be a bit of an understatement. His bio can be found here: BlackMarket-Fitness

Following is his Oak Ass 100 account...Thanks Tracy!

OAKASS100 is over, and let me say... The ass feels a little beaten... Actually, nothing more than expected... 
Stiff and sore nothing a hottub and yoga can't fix... However, my forearms and fingers are shot pretty good, probably some carpel damage.

Spoke with race partner 
Andrew Clark this morning and as expected, he's just fine... No aches or pains...
(I hate him....)

Here is the race break down from my perspective...

Here are my splits...WITH DETAILS..
RACE STARTS, course is packed with riders slowing things down a bit...had to "look for trail" to get pass slower riders...
1 lap- 2:18 ,20 minutes faster than my best time... Buying myself almost 40 minutes..
Pit area, filled camelback and grabbed another calories bottle, 610 calories...ULTRAGEN

2 lap- 2:45 , (good time), 50 miles completed,
1 episode of tachycardia felt like shit... sapping my energy quite a bit, took longer than normal to get heart down from 200 bpm. Cleared up moved on... Rt thumb and hand dead to feeling, due to previous nerve damage

3 lap- 2:38. 75 miles completed, Felt incredible, no problems gripping

4th lap DNF/ did not finish...
2 nd episode of tachy...cleared up in 3-4 minutes, Ran without lights in the dark as long as possible to conserve energy, then when trail narrowed time for lighting... Headlamp went out during start of Jekyll and Hyde..fell twice on JNH no big deal...portaged 75 % of technical section...

A 3rd episode of tachy
Hit me and left me dead in the water...legs great, but the energy sap was a bit scary... So I bailed...
Andrew caught me at this point and disappeared into the night up Peavine just a red blinky light ....reminded me of the Cyclops in ancient episodes of Galactica...

Nutrition was dead on... 630 calories per lap, then 1/2 banana and stew made by Pete Foret, and acquired by my wife Leigh McKay.

I pulled in and dnf'd myself grabbed a double hand full,of Shipleys doughnut holes and went to the car to get heated up...

The headlamp,of Andrew Clark flickered in the dark and he pulled in at 11hours and 30 minutes finishing the OAKASS 100 his first 100 mile mtn bike race...

Special thanks to :
CHAINBUSTERS and John Karasch for putting on the race
Pete Foret for goating me into doing the 100, which I wanted in the first place...
Jason Barksdale and the guys at BBC for technical assistance.. The new tire suggestion was spot on!
Leigh Mckay as my pit crew filling camelbaks, sorting gear and grabbing food ..
Andrew Clark for being such
A great race partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment