Monday, January 16, 2012

Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross build - Part 1

New bike time. Uh, again.

I had decided a Salsa Vaya would be awesome and really the only thing I was interested in. With all my eggs in the Vaya basket I found out Salsa was sold out of the frameset in my size for an unknown amount of time.

Time to find a new basket. Bike. Whatever.

My buddy Nick stepped up with an offer on his Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frameset modified by
Waltworks.

Here is Nick's verison of the bike.

http://flic.kr/p/9DNTHw

Off road fixie...what a weirdo.

Weirdness aside, after one ride around his neighborhood I was sold. The brakes stop, it turns nicely, feels stiff enough. Best of all, it matches my two other green bikes. Solidarity and all.

I will update this as I get more parts but here are some pics of it's current state, which could be described as incomplete and unrideable. Thanks to the guys at Industry Nine for the hubs. I need to do a write up on the straight pull spoke MTB wheels I have had for six months soon now that I think about it. Amazing wheels. So much so that I have nothing bad to say, which is rare for me.

Yeah, bike progress:
I9 Classic front
Homemade tools
3x with DB14s to ZTR Arches
Disc fork by Waltworks
SS or gears
Salsa Woodchipper

No comments:

Post a Comment