Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Running and dogs

For the second year in a row, I have taken up jogging just as the hot part of summer is hitting.

Last summer I think it was because I read Born to Run. I think that guy could have written a book about picking up trash and I would have jumped at the chance to join a local waste service.

Melissa decided she wanted to start running a couple weeks ago and we got around to doing the first one Saturday night. We went for thirty minutes, alternating jogging and walking. No barefoot sandals this time for me. After stepping on some sharp objects in those I'm over it. And absolutely ZERO pure barefoot running. I stepped on some sort of splinter running barefoot last year...holy shit that hurt.

On a semi related note, one of my worst fears came true a couple weeks ago. Whenever I wear flip flops I am nervous about something happening to my toes. We went over to Andrew and Melanies to hang out, grill, and drink beer. I fretted over the flip flops and wore them anyway. A few beers and a couple hours later a frisbee came out and a cul-de-sac with some nice, tall curbs was found. You see where this is going.

I took off to catch a toss way over my head. My pace was good, I was moving fast. I was the Jerry Rice of Frisbee. Then my toes met the curb. At full speed. Crushed the poor things. They still look nasty but nothing is broken. Walking and running still hurt and mountain biking is pretty unpleasant. I can't say I learned an actual lesson due to this incident because all the contributing factors are things I will likely do again.

Beginning running is tough to do around our house since it is all hills. Walking up some of them is harder than running on flat ground.

Last night went better...she found a program called "Couch to 5K" and it said to do twenty to thirty minutes three times a week. We would jog for sixty seconds and walk for ninety seconds, it went pretty well and neither one of us is all that sore. I can't say that I "like" running but it is better than any of those dvd type exercise programs.

Melissa seems to be liking the running so far. Proud of her for getting out in the heat and not seeking the solace of a treadmill.

She sent me a link earlier today to a running program for dogs called Pooch to 5K.

I investigated and damn if it does not look like a carbon copy of the Couch to 5K program for people. At first thought, it seemed like a great idea. Then I realized how hot the dogs are after walking them for 15 minutes in the heat here. The high temp for the next week is above 95 every day.

I am worried the dogs would overheat if we tried to start taking them with us on runs, which is too bad cause it sounds fun. Sugaree (our beagle) overheated last year at Bump and Grind and I had to do some extensive hiking carrying her. It took her forever to cool down and I don't want a repeat of that. It is hard to tell when a dog is getting too hot because they look so happy doing it. I see people out at the park all summer here with dogs on the verge of heat exhaustion dragging them around. Watch our for yer dogs, folks.

Dedication

Sugaree (L) and Luke (R) at Moss Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment